Monday, August 29, 2011

Blueberry Walnut Granola


I love a good homemade granola.
When we went to Chicago last spring my dear friend and excellent hostess had a variety of breakfast treats out for us every morning.  She had made the most delicious granola, and I of course asked about the recipe.  She told me it came from Gale Gand's Brunch cookbook.  I should have known.  Those of you that are long time readers of Young Adventures may remember the chocolate waffles that I made from this amazing cookbook.  If you like breakfast food, run don't walk to the store and purchase this book.
I have been thinking about this recipe and tweaking it in the back of my mind for some time now.  I finally got around to making it and I am very happy with the way it turned out.
This will make a great breakfast with milk or yogurt.  I also think it would be a great after-school snack.
Feel free to swap out the fruit and nuts for your favorite.

Blueberry Walnut Granola

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon almond extract
4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1 cup dried blueberries (I get mine at Costco)

1. Heat the oven  to 325 degrees.  Line a large rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the honey, maple syrup, orange juice, butter in a small saucepan.  Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.  Watch this closely and don't let it boil over. 
3.  Reduce the heat and simmer it for 5 minutes, stirring often.  Remove from the heat and add the almond extract.
4.  Mix the oats, coconut, walnuts and salt in a large bowl.  Pour the hot mixture over the oat mixture.  Stir all of this together until it is thoroughly coated.  Spread it evenly on a baking sheet.
5.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Add the blueberries and bake for another 15 to 18 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
6.  Remove the granola for the oven and place the pan on a cooling rack.  Once the granola has cooled, stir and place in an airtight container at room temperature.  It will keep for up to two weeks.
Enjoy!

Source: Adapted from Gale Gand's Brunch  


No comments:

Post a Comment