Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Classic Gucamole



Those of you who have been following Young Adventures for awhile are familiar with a series of posts
called "He Cooks" by Mr. Young.  This is our go to guacamole recipe that  gets made in our home.  I thought I would bring it out of the archives in honor of Cinco De Mayo.  Feel free to browse other recipes by the Mr. here.

I was just watching one of my favorite ‘cooking shows’ on PBS the other day (i.e Rick Bayless ) and it was completely devoted to guacamole. Growing up I didn’t know that avocados even existed. Now a Mexican date night at the Young household is not complete without a nice big bowl of guacamole.

I have tweaked this recipe to my tastes and you can do the same. Avocados have a tendency to diminish the heat of the peppers so I would recommend adding more peppers (preferably Serrano) if you want to kick up the heat. Also, I am a lime fiend and tend to double the amount of lime in anything I make that requires a lime, margaritas included. -Brian



Classic Guacamole ala Rick Bayless
If you have the time and are not starving, I would recommend letting the guacamole sit in the refrigerator for about an hour to the let the flavors come together a bit. If you do this, be sure to cover with plastic wrap and in this case you want the wrap to touch the top of the guacamole. Otherwise the avocados will begin to turn brown. If you jack up the lime quantity like I do, this is less of a concern since the lime juice will prevent the guacamole from turning brown.


· 2 Serrano peppers (with seeds removed) finely chopped
· ½ cup of white onion finely chopped
· 2 ripe plum tomatoes finely chopped (you can use any ripe tomato if you can’t find plum)
· ¼ cup cilantro finely sliced.
· 3 medium to large sized avocados
· Juice of one lime (this is about 2 Tbls)
· Salt

Mash the avocados with a potato masher until you get the consistency you want. Add the peppers, onion, tomato, cilantro and lime juice. Stir to combine. Taste. Add salt to taste. Stir and taste again. Repeat if necessary.

That is it. Enjoy with white corn tortilla chips.

Source: Rick Bayless
This recipe shared with Walking on Sunshine Recipes
Back for seconds

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing! Thank you for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday! This recipe was voted #3!!! We will be featuring it on Daily Dish Magazine tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete