Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies


We had a sleepover with the Buckman's over spring break.  Susie and I wanted to make a treat but neither of us wanted to go to the store.  We decided to use what we had and tweak my chocolate chip cookie recipe.

We were not sure how these cookies were going to turn out because we had a few issues.  The dough was a little crumbly and I am not  exactly sure why.  I used Susie's hand mixer, so I might have over mixed or maybe it was the flour.  Susie also has dark cookie sheets and a few of the cookies stuck to the pan (see my tips below).  Despite our issues, the cookies tasted really good (they were gone in a day). They didn't taste like wheat and the children didn't complain. Ian came up to me and said "Mom, you make the best cookies."

My original recipe is still my favorite, but if I want to make something a little bit healthier this will be my go to recipe. I might even add a little bit of milled flax seed or wheat germ next time. I hope you try them and love them.  Happy cookie eating!
xoxo
Rachel


Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
It  is really important that your butter is at room temperature or the dough will not mix properly.  If you use dark baking sheets reduced the temperature to 325.  I typically use baking stones but if you are using a metal baking sheet you might want to grease it to prevent the cookies from sticking. Do not over bake the cookies or they will dry out.  It's better to pull them out if they are a little under baked and let them finish baking on the cookie sheet.

1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 egg
2 1/4 cup white/wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups milk chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350 (see notes).

Mix butter, sugars, and egg until well mixed. Add the flour, soda, and salt mix until you see just a few streaks of the flour mixture. Spoon teaspoonfuls onto ungreased (see notes) baking sheets and bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until light golden brown, do not over bake (see notes).  Remove the baking sheets from the oven and let the cookies rest for a minute or until you can remove them easily to cooling rack.


Source: Young Adventures
















2 comments:

  1. These look amazing! Thank you for the visit today to my blog! Would love for you to come back tomorrow and join our Foodie Friends Friday linky party!

    ReplyDelete